Monday, January 19, 2009

College Degree No Job

In 2004 I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in English. It took me ten years to get my degree. Ten Years. I was sick, I was concerned with accumulating too much student loan debt and at times I just wasn't mature enough to make school my first priority.
After I got my degree, I was so sure this was it, that I finally could get my first real, grown-up job. All I wanted was some kind of generic office job-9-5, weekends off, health insurance, but instead I ended up back in the same job I worked my way through community college with.
During my job search, I Googled the phrase 'college degree, no job' to see if I could get specific advice for my situation. There was nothing.
Now, through happenstance, I'm a career counselor. And lately, I just haven't been able to get the idea out of my head to start a blog, so that if someone else Googles the same phrase, they'll find some advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment